- You need an initial legal opinion, guidance and advice ?
- You have to go to court and you want the assistance of a lawyer ?
- The involvement of a lawyer can be totally free.
- To obtain initial advice by telephone
1. YOU NEED AN INITIAL LEGAL OPINION, GUIDANCE AND ADVICE ?
First line legal aid is accessible to all on condition of nationality, domicile and income. Contact one of the offices of the French Legal Aid Commission.
2. YOU HAVE TO GO TO COURT AND YOU WANT THE ASSISTANCE OF A LAWYER ?
Contact the Legal Aid Office of the French-Speaking Bar in Brussels or one of the offices of the Legal Aid Commission.
3. AS A RULE, THE INVOLVEMENT OF A LAWYER WILL BE TOTALLY FREE IF YOU CAN PROVE THAT :
- you are a lone person and your net income* is lower than 944 euros a month, you are a lone person with one or more dependents or you cohabit (whether married or not) and the monthly net income* of your household is lower than 1,213 euros,
- you receive a social integration allowance from the CPAS,
- you receive guaranteed income for elderly persons from the National Pensions Office,
- the Ministry of Social Affairs pays you disabled replacement income (but not the integration allowance),
- you have a dependent child and receive guaranteed family benefits,
- you occupy social housing for which the rent is lower than or equal to one half of the base rent for the Brussels-Capital Region and the Flemish Region or for which the rent is equal to the minimum rent in the Walloon Region,
- you are a minor,
- you have applied for regularisation of your stay or appealed against a deportation order (this freedom from charge will be granted for such proceedings),
- you are an asylum seeker or you have applied for displaced person status (this freedom from charge will be granted for such proceedings),
- you are held or charged as referred to in the law on immediate appearance,
- you are subject to a measure provided in the Law of 26 June 1990 on the protection of those with mental illnesses,
- you are in a collective debt settlement process (this freedom from charge will be granted for all proceedings on presentation of the judgement of admissibility and a certificate from your debt mediator) or you wish to make an application for collective debt settlement.
IF YOU ARE NOT IN ONE OF THESE SITUATIONS
The lawyer assisting you before the court can ask you for a set fee if your net income* is between 944 and 1,213 euros a month (for a lone person) or between 1,213 euros and 1,480 euros (for a lone person with a dependent or a cohabitant).
* For the calculation of net monthly income, account is taken of all means of existence (except family allowances), a deduction of 160.27 euros per dependent person and charges resulting from exceptional debt..